Sunday, October 25, 2009

Some Goodies, Mary Wigham, and a FINISH!

So Much to update you on! First a few goodies - My super talented best stitching buddy made me a beautiful housewarming gift and gave it to me Months ago. So long ago and I neglected to post anything about it! So here it is, a beautiful house:

Not sure who it's by, but I will update when I ask her. She also recently made this GORGEOUS Quilt for my baby girl's first birthday! I'm so amazed by her and her talents! I have tried quilting and while I love applique and building the blocks, the rest of it overwhelms me. Here is a pic of Gracie on her b-day quilt. She loves it as you can tell by the grin!


In my own stitching news I FINALLY have a finish! Yay! This is an old UFO from a few Octobers past; Vinnie VonFang by Lizzie Kate. I stitched him (appropriately enough) on a lovely Lugana by Blended Needle called Moonlight! It's a bit greener than it's showing up in the pic.

Since I've been working on Vinnie I haven't gotten far on Mary Wigham. I did manage to do her name in over one - but in hind sight I wouldn't do that again. I don't want to be a whiner, but I am really struggling with this piece. First I chose a horrid fabric. It's a 36 count linen which is really uneven in it's threads and makes it hard to count. I've already had to frog quite a bit because I got one stitch over three instead of over two. Not helping that is the fact that the pattern is based on a sampler that Mary Wigham started when she was 9 years old. As you can imagine, there are errors which are built into the pattern, but I didn't realize that would be so difficult for me, mentally. I guess my brain wants the hexagons to be even, and so far, most of them aren't. I count each side over and over, thinking that it will even out or I made an error in counting, but still the sides will be one or two stitches off. My brain has a problem with that I guess! LOL!

Anyway, This combination of unbalanced patterns and bad fabric choice led to a small disaster - the frame of latest motif ended up one thread off somewhere, but I can't for the life of me see where! I just left it and started on the bird in the middle. Hopefully my mistake will become clear at some point because I cannot imagine leaving it like that. I am NOT a perfectionist and I have occasionally left errors in my stitching, but I think this error will bug me and make this piece less of an enjoyment for me. Silly maybe, but true. My stitching buddy is doing Mary Wigham as well and is screaming right along with hers. I will post a pic next time she comes over and you will see how much further along she is! I love looking at hers and it keeps me motivated to work on mine despite the frustration. At least I've got Vinnie done and can finish him for Halloween! Happy Stitches!

1 comment:

Marcy said...

Vinnie is very dashing! Did he make it on Peoples Magazine list of the most sexy vampires?

I really wouldn't worry about being off one thread on your Mary. If you can't figure it out now, after a few years, you won't even remember which motiff had the error. Been there, done that.

Your Mary is looking very pretty.